The creation of this open educational resource (OER) was made possible by an Embracing Equity through Open Educational Resources (OER) at MTSU Grant . We are grateful for the commitment of MTSU and Tennessee for funding OER projects and ultimately making education more accessible to all.
Content in the book was remixed and adapted from previous OER authors. In chronological order by dates of publication, we specifically thank the following authors.
- Maureen Zimmerman and Beth Snow for their 2012 Introduction to Human Nutrition
- Marie Kainoa Filkowski Revilla and Alan Titchenal and their students and staff from the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa for the original edition (2018) and revisions of Human Nutrition.
- Alice Callahan, Heather Leonard, and Tamberly Powell (Lane Community College) for their 2020 Nutrition: Science and Everyday Applications
The majority of our book’s content is from Lane Community College’s nutrition OER, which attributes much of their book’s content to previous work from the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa’s Human Nutrition book and Zimmerman and Snow’s An Introduction to Human Nutrition.
We used the following 11 units from Lane Community College’s book and two chapters from the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa’s book, as outlined below.
Nutrition: Science and Everyday Applications// CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
- Unit 1 – Designing A Healthy Diet (Changed to Unit 2 in our book)
- Unit 2 – Nutrition Science and Information Literacy (Their Units 2 and 3 are combined into our Unit 3)
- Unit 3 – Molecules of Life: Photosynthesis, Digestion, and Metabolism
- Unit 4- Carbohydrates
- Unit 5- Lipids
- Unit 6- Protein
- Unit 7- Energy Balance and Healthy Body Weight
- Unit 8 – Vitamins and Minerals Part 1
- Unit 9 – Vitamins and Minerals Part 2
- Unit 10 — Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Unit 11 — Nutrition Throughout the Lifespan
Human Nutrition CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
We thank the authors of these OER books. Refer to the attributions at the end of each Unit to determine the original authors.